Friday, June 21, 2013

Arriving in Alaska


Day 1 in Anchorage, Alaska. Here is a quick recap of our trip so far!
Downtown Alaska. Checking out how far away the rest of the world is!
After about 1,500kms of training over the past 6 months the day to head out to Alaska finally arrived! Preparing for a big race is nothing new to me since it is something I do 20-30 times a year! But this one is something different as it carries mearning to people other than me! Normally I will mentally set a target based on the course, my training preparation, and how my body is feeling that week. What actually happens doesn't matter to anyone else!

This time there are so many people who actually KNOW I am racing on Saturday, who have supported my fundraising efforts, and who will want to know how I did! And at the core of why I am doing this are my honourees Aaron Offord and Darren Bishop. I've undertaken this journey to raise money and awareness for the fight again blood cancers like the Leukemia that has changed their lives! This race is a little more important than anything I have done before!

I'm choosing to look at this situation as a development opportunity to on how to deal with a greater amount of pressure! LOL! This development opportunity started sooner than I thought. I'll explain:

In the weeks leading up to today many people asked me when I was running to Alaska. I would laugh and tell them that I was not running to Alaska, but running IN Alaska! Running 4,000 miles is a much bigger commitment than running 42.2km!!!

Well, I didn't have to run the full 4,000 miles, but despite arriving at the airport 2 hours prior to my flight, I got stuck in some very long lines and ended up running from security to the gate with my shoe laces untied and my belt in hand! I was so late that I had no time to deal consider such proprieties as 'dressing' since the plane was full and (hopefully!) waiting for me!

With Donavan Montanario moments after I made it on the plane
 Our flights to Seattle and then Achorage were uneventful although Donavan and I met a friendly couple who were also travelling to the Mayor's Marathon and a gentleman from the US Military who is going to be climbing Mt. McKinley - the highest point in North America at 20,320 ft! It will take him at least 22 days to summit!

The view out the window on our descent to Anchorage
 Once we got to Anchorage we walked the city, booked some tours for Friday and Sunday, and went to the Race Expo to get our race bibs!
 
Hmm....this looks like a good tour!

Donavan taking a breather outside a local shop!

Working on my Video Report at the Race Expo

The beer I am looking forward to on
Saturday night!















Since Alaska is 4 hours behind Ontario, we were in bed by 8am local time and I managed to sleep until 3am! We're not here long enough to get our bodies adjusted. Besides, at this time of year there is daylight from about 4am to 11pm!

I'll post again on Friday!
-Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment