Saturday, June 22, 2013

Me vs. Alaska & Alaska won!

Today was race day and that title pretty much sums it up! From the perspective of a competitive athlete's perspective, today was the pretty much the toughest race I have ever run! The geography of this city is defined by the mountains and although the marathon only went into the foothills, the first 15 miles / 25 km just kept going up and up and up! I was on 3h30 pace through half but my legs had just taken to much of a beating

Elevation profile of the marathon. The first 15 miles were mostly climbing. By the time the downhill started I was trashed.

The army base we ran by, and then THROUGH

A really cool part of this race is that is ran through the local  army base on what they call the 'Tank Trails'. These trails  were wide gravel paths that just kept going and going (up!) for miles!
 Part way up the gravel tank trails. I was still fresh and moving well at this point

The back half of this race was absolutely the most physically challenging thing I have ever done. I was unable to run for more than a few hundred meters at a time because my legs and feet hurt so much. Mentally I had given up at least a dozen times, but then I just thought about why I'm was doing this. I'd made a commitment to all of you and a few hours of pain is absolutely nothing compared to cancer and everything that comes with it. 
The bike paths that made up most of the back half of the marathon

The course was absolutely beautiful and once the tank trails and some forest trails were complete, the second half was mostly on the gorgeous bike path system through the city

Eventually, after much running, then walking and then running some more. I made it up to final big hills and into over the finish line.

Don't be impressed by the clock. That was for the half-marathon that started 1 hour after the marathon. I'll let you do the easy math! :-)

Donavan is the ever diligent photographer and caught me in the height of my agony in the finish area!

Donavan rocked his first ever half-marathon and hit his time goal! Even with stopping to take several pictures like this along the way!!
Donavan had much more fun in the half-marathon and made some friends at the water stations!


 Friends Winnie & Mimi also did the half-marathon and ran their fastest ever time!
Winnie & Mimi

Team Canada spent nearly 2 hours after the race lying on the grass in the Team & Training tent before making the several kilomtre walk back to the hotel!

Some of Team Canada in the front row, with some of our US friends  
 It's now dinner time in Alaska so we are off to stuff our faces and drink some well deserved beer!!
-Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment